Friday, January 31, 2014

Product Review: Tis' the Season to beTan!!

I don't know about you but I am super white!!!

Winter sucks.  I get so paley pale during the winter I feel like I become translucent I am so fair.  For the past 3 years I have steered clear of tanning beds.  They work like a charm and are extremely relaxing however melanoma isn't worth the risk.

So I started to explore more and more fake tanning solutions.  Here are 3/4 that I wanted to review for a couple different reasons: good, bad, and ugly!!!



First let's start with the ugly: L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Gelee.  Now this is a gradual self tanner and went on okay.  I wasn't too streaky with it.  The smell though was terrible.  It smells like an old man's cologne.  And that smell sticks to you.  It doesn't fade away quickly after it is applied.  As far as clean-up, as long as I washed my hands really well I was fine.  The worst part about this self-tanner was how it STUNG MY FACE!!  I don't know if it was the AHAs or what, but I was using this around the time that I was pregnant.  I was fine until I got pregnant and then it started to sting my face when I used it.  Boo to a stinking face.

Second we have the Jergens Natural Glow Healthy Complexion Daily Face Moisturizer.  This is also a gradual self tanner for the face.  It feels exactly the same as the formula for the body so I am not sure if it is worth buying a different product.  It bought the fair to medium for my face.  It did add a nice tone and warmed me up.  There weren't any ugly dark spots were it might have clung to my dry skin.  However I did break-out with this formula.  I have started to try it again in conjunction with my new skincare routine and I will report back.  If you have oily skin I would not recommend this product.  My skin has changed to more normal - combination since I had my son so I am giving it a second look.  I will report my findings in a blog to come.

Third we have the body version of the Jergens Natual Glow.  For my body I used the Medium to Tan in order to get a bit more color.  I don't mind going bold on the body.  This lotion feels nice and does moisturize well.  The tanner though is very streaky.  It is a gradual tan, but you really need to make sure you exfoliate well.  But it does take the edge off nicely, I would just use it every other day and make sure yours knees, ankles and elbows are nicely exfoliated.  As far as clean up, even with a good wash I feel like I have stained nails.  I have to get in with a manicure brush to make sure it gets cleaned out or I will end up with tan nails.

Finally we have the winner.  The best self-tanner that I have used is the St. Moriz Instant Self Tanning Mousse.  Now this is NOT a gradual tanner.  This is the real deal when we think of instant self-tanner.  It is the knock off version of the St. Tropez tanner and it does an amazing job.  It is a light mousse that goes on easily and rubs in easily.  You can see everywhere you are putting it so it is easy NOT to miss an area.  It does take about 10-15 minutes to dry so you need to make sure you put in on when you have time to walk around naked because it will transfer and it will stain.  My face didn't break out with this.  You do need to exfoliate well because it will cling to those dry areas like white on rice.  As far as clean up is concerned, you need to spend that 15 minutes of dry time working on your hands to make sure they are clean because it is such a thin formula, it gets into those nails and cuticles so easily.  The big challenge with this product is distribution.  I don't know where you can find it in the states.  I order it off of Amazon and it comes from the UK.  There is a wait, but the product isn't too expensive compared to other high end ones ie. St. Tropez.

Hope this helps to keep you from the Curse of the Pasty Face!!

No comments:

Post a Comment