Monday, March 11, 2013

Health Quest Update

Health Quest Update

So I have a mid way update on my quest for better health.  I am working on diet and exercise.  I have been doing good on exercise and still working on the diet.

My running program is shaping up nicely.  I am not up running 2 miles very hard but I am proud that I am doing it.  The program wasn’t designed for someone who has recently delivered a baby so I have modified a bit.  If you want to try it yourself, talk to your doctor and listen to you body.  Post delivery it is extremely important to listen to your body and go only as hard as your body will let you.  Here is the program and my modifications.  I run 3 days a week:

Week 1:
Run ½ a mile walk ½ mile and do that twice.  
My twist: Run ¼ mile walk ¼ mile and do that twice

Week 2:
Run ¾ mile walk ¾ mile and do that twice
My twist: Run ¾ mile and walk ¾ mile

Week 3:
Run 1 mile walk ¼ mile run ¾ mile
My twist: run 1 mile walk ¼ mile

Week 4:
Run 1 ½ mile walk ½ mile
My twist: Run 1 ½ mile walk ¾ mile

Week 5 (My twist)
Run 1 ¾ mile walk ¼ mile

Right now I am on Week 6.  When I am running 2 miles, it isn’t pretty and sometimes I do have to walk.  But I listen to my body, I want to push myself but not over the top.  I am not a college athlete anymore :)  I run through our neighborhood which has some subtle hills that kick my butt.  I will keep working towards a solid 2 mile run and then move to the next challenge: Running 2 miles up a steep hill.  I am also still loving my Baboosh.  I run with it and I truly think it helps me run hard and lose inches.

Twice a week I do strength training.  See my blog: http://sarahdozamommalove.blogspot.com/2013/02/workout-review.html

Now onto diet.  When you are breastfeeding you need about 500 extra calories a day.  I am trying to stick around 1,600 calories however sometimes I do need more.  I don’t deny myself if I need them I just really try to make sure that I need them.  Key things I try to hit: 2 tablespoons of flax seed, one cup of spinach, one cup of broccoli or cauliflower, one fruit.  Now I need more of all veggies.  It would be great to get three cups of spinach (or another dark leafy green) and three cups of broccoli or cauliflower, and three cups of colorful veggies and fruit.  However, today I am just not going to eat that many veggies.  Working towards it though.  Whenever I get hunger pains, I drink a glass of water and have a Cert.  Sounds funny but it helps me not eat when I am thirsty or when I am bored.

This is working for me.  The lbs. aren’t flying off, however I am losing a 1/2lb to 1lb a week.  Anytime I have dropped 3 pounds in a week I have gained it back right away if I have a big dinner or a salty lunch.  If there is anything that works well for anyone here let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment